Professional Development Training
Life's most persistent and urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Pioneers of Trauma PD in Australia
In the early 1990s, finding an increasing number of clients presenting with complex stress and dissociative disorders as a result of trauma and abuse, Naomi and Susan searched for training and case consultation. It quickly became apparent there was an urgent need for professional development training in this area.
Increasingly, it is understood that matters of extreme stress, trauma or abuse, sit behind many of the unrecognized reasons people present at the rooms of psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, expressive therapists, counsellors, family therapists, psychotherapists, medical practitioners, allied health and related professionals.
In 1991, Naomi and Susan, with other health professionals began to meet and then founded the Australian Association of Trauma & Dissociation Inc. (amalgamated with the Australasian Society for Traumatic Stress Studies in 1996). For 5 years from 1992 they played instrumental roles in organizing conferences in this developing field.
Since 1995, The Delphi Centre broadened the scope of training opportunities through establishing national seminar tours with leading clinicians and researchers in the field of complex trauma, dissociation and PTSD.
Browse through our impressive gallery of presenters:
Our professional development trainings cover a wide range of issues related to treatment and research:
Seasoned professionals in the field consistently report that Delphi trainings:
- provide speakers of the highest calibre
- present cutting edge material of direct clinical application in a framework supported by solid research and theory
- are superior in organization and presentation from registering to completion of the event
- always respect both the health professional and the client / patient / consumer’s roles and interests with compassion and integrity
- are inspirational, affirming and invaluable educational experiences
Seminars and Workshops
Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.
Details about upcoming seminar and workshop tours will be posted on the website and notifications sent via email. If you are not on our mail list, go to Join Our Network and submit your details to receive information on training and resources.
Contact Naomi to enquire about training designed for your organizations needs Contact
In House Training
Even the most hard nosed physicist admits that the flap of a butterfly’s wings can change the weather a hundred miles away.
Delphi Training and Consulting offers in-house training tailored specifically for the needs of your organization. We will work with you to understand your requirements, the content, length of training, and the timeframe you wish your training to cover (e.g. consecutive days or over a period of weeks or months).
Training options can focus on one, or a combination these topics. If there is something you are interested in but it is not listed, please enquire, as it is likely to be incorporated in the following topics but may not itemized separately.
Topics for in-house training include: Four core trauma dynamics:
- – The problem is not the problem
– Locus of control shift
– Attachment to the perpetrator
– Karpman's triangle (victim–rescuer-persecutor dynamic)
- Phase oriented treatment plans
- Specific issues in PTSD, Dissociative Disorders, and Dissociative Identity Disorder:
flashbacks; flooding; numbing; hearing voices; somatization; hostile; persecutory and apparent-sabotaging presentations of the client's internal intra-psychic system
- Trauma re-enactment in the counselling setting and therapeutic impasses
- Utilizing transference and counter-transference
- Navigating empathic engagement and safe boundaries for the client and health professional
- Understanding and transforming self harming behaviours
- Facilitating and supporting healthy expression of the spectrum of emotions, including difficult intense feelings such as anger and grief
- Trauma, spirituality and healing
- Self-care: Vicarious Traumatization / Secondary PTSD / Compassion Fatigue